POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Linear graduations for colour_maps? : Re: Linear graduations for colour_maps? Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linear graduations for colour_maps?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Jan 2001 17:37:08
Message: <3A53A995.2E42E153@gmx.de>
Alan Holding wrote:

> Had a go, but the only one which came close was a scaled up poly_wave (see
> attached).  I don't think there's a way round this because, as stated in the
> help file, 'Although any of these wave types can be used for pigments,
> normals, textures, or density the effect of many of the wave types are not
> as noticeable on pigments, textures, or density as they are for normals.'

This applies for pigments, but not for use with heightfields and
isosurfaces.  Tony's idea was quite good for smoothing the pattern itself,
but in your case it does not help much because of the color_map.

The following should look better, because the color_map is much
'smoother':

    dents
    colour_map {
      [0.0 rgb 0.0]
      [0.3 rgb 0.1]
      [0.4 rgb 0.2]
      [0.6 rgb 0.7]
      [0.8 rgb 0.9]
      [1.0 rgb 1.0]
    }

You can also try to specify a more detailed color_map using a #while loop
for example.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>